News from Corwin International Magnet School
The Five Essential Elements of the PYP-
Ask your child and your child's teacher what they are learning in their current unit of inquiry.
1) Knowledge-The significant and relevant content that we want the student to learn about.
2) Concepts-Powerful ideas that connect the subject areas together and even go beyond to help the student develop in-depth understand.
3) Skills- Those capabilities that students will need in order to find success in an ever changing, challenging world.
4) Attitudes-Beliefs and feelings about learning, the environment and people.
5) Action-Demonstrations of deeper learning in responsible behavior through responsible action.
(Making the PYP Happen, pg. 10)
We are IB!
Welcome back to school! We are excited for the 2016-2017 school year, and expect great things from our PYP students. Our school theme is, "The Power of One" and we hope you will learn how one person can make a difference in the world. Our words and our actions can impact the world!
We are excited to work with all of our new 4th and 5th graders as they transition from a primary school setting to an intermediate school setting. We will be learning how to be more independent, manage ourselves, and take ownership for our education.
Parents often wonder how they can support their child in the intermediate grades. It is helpful to establish a homework routine each night-a quiet place with few distractions is ideal. Also, limit your child's TV and media usage-read a book together! Finally, help your child to establish an organizational system-backpacks, homework folders, and using a planner can help your child stay right on track. Let's have a great year!
Who Do We Want To Be?
The IB Learner Profile helps us answer this question. The Learner Profile helps us develop into internationally minded people who realize our shared guardianship of the planet and into citizens who strive to help create a better and more peaceful world. Think BC ROCK TRIP!
Which Learner Profile fits this description? "We thoughtfully consider the world and our own ideas and experience. We work to understand our strengths and weaknesses in order to support our learning and personal development." (REFLECTIVE)
Upcoming International Focus
Click above for access to Web Quest!
Approaches to Learning Skills
How do my Communication Skills and Thinking Skills help me on my assignments and tests?
Why can't everyday be Earth Day?
May and June
Why is it important for me to be Balanced and how does this IB Profile help me stay healthy?